Thursday, July 26, 2012

Spicy Refrigerator Pickles

I love pickles! They are seriously one of my favorite things to eat and I crave them 99% of my waking time. I thought I would try a very, very simple take on Refrigerator Pickles to see if it is something I can make myself instead of buying them.

Spicy Refrigerator Pickles: (This recipe fills a Vlasic/ regular pickle jar)

4 Thinly sliced Organic Persian cucumbers
1/3 cup Thinly sliced red onions
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 cups of white balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cloves (light sprinkling works since the measurement is tiny)

Place cucumber in the jar of your choice; we love reusing "upcycled" pickle jars.  Since this recipe doesn't need to be "canned" by cooking on the stove top, cleaned and sterilized jars are perfect to make your own pickles in.

After adding the first layer of cucumbers to your jar top with 1 cup onion; then add jalapenos.  Repeat this process until the jar is full and layered with all the vegetables.

Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute.

Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool.

Cover, chill and let reach full flavor in 4 days.
*Pickles can remain in the refrigerator for up to one month.

I hope you enjoy & that this will curb all of your pickle cravings ;) Yummy!

XOXO, KC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...