Tuesday, July 31, 2012

How-To's Day: Make Your Own Hairpin Lace Loom


I have never been much of a crocheter. I learned to knit first and never took to crocheting the same. I have heard you are strongest at whichever method you learn first. Who knows! With that being said, learning to crochet is totally on the top of my must list mostly because I so badly wish I was better at it.  Crochet patterns are so cute and it goes so quickly it kills me that I suck at it. My first attempt is going to be trying my hand at Hairpin Lace because, why not?!

Usually my favorite way to blow all of my money is to buy craft tools that I think will change my life and make all my crafty dreams come true... Does that sound like your weakness too? Now, I am actively trying to curb my spending PLUS I usually try out my tools one time and then I am on to the next project which means I am in a never ending cycle of tool buying. This is an acceptable habit if it is yours as well, there are worst things to be addicted to for sure.  My main reason for wanting to curb my enthusiasm for buying tools is that I am realizing I have enough stuff in my life and I should save my money.  For instance, this Hairpin Lace Loom looks amazing, but at $28 before shipping buying a loom could be more of an investment that I need to indulge in for just trying it out.

Here is my simple solution to trying out a hairpin lace loom for under $3!!

I was able to find a pack of 4 BBQ Skewers at Albertson's for $1.99 on sale. You may be able to find a bigger pack that would drop the cost of the finished tool even lower. All you need is (2) handles cut off the top of a 6-pack and two metal BBQ skewers to create the upcycled hairpin lace tool. This is a simple example of upcycling which is utilizing and re purposing materials that could be recycled or discarded as the useful material in a project.  If you are interested in more details on upcycling check this out.

Take one handle and push both BBQ skewers down through the top to create the bottom of the loom.

The handles from the 6-pack may need a good push to accommodate the skewers but one of the great aspects of using the cardboard handles is the structure is very sturdy and holds the skewers without having to do much to secure them.  You can try out the loom without gluing the skewer into the handle - this way you can make the loom adjustable and change up the sizes if you'd like.  Or if you like the size of the loom place some hot glue by the skewers to hold everything in place and create a surprisingly durable loom.

Some similar looms to make using bamboo skewers and hot glue sticks can be found on Little Projects Blog here or a more substantial loom made from knitting needles, dowel rods and rubber bands from eHow here.

Once you have a loom starting the lace can be tricky. I found this video tutorial from JenkinsWoodworking on YouTube here that is super helpful when trying to learn making hairpin lace.

 Now let's all make some lace!!


XOXO, KC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...