Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Un-GREENWASHING first stop- trying out BioBags

We are "Greenwashing" our Lives and trying all the GREEN alternatives.   Now items unfortunately get labeled as "green" or more Eco-conscious and sometimes aren't.  I am trying to figure out ways to change over to fully environmentally friendly products that both work and are even better than their counterparts.  For some people, the hardest part is starting... change is daunting.  But, I think its our duties to scientifically test (Who are we kidding, its gonna just be a trying things and figuring what we like the best!  Let us know if there is some questions you would want to know in using the product)

One thing I am super intrigued about is new Biodegradable bags. I bought some BioBags from Whole Foods before we left for Austin.  And, I am just now starting to try them out.  They are ~$7.00 here, and unfortunately my composting situation isn't as good as when I lived in NYC- soooo I don't currently compost.  I just can't rationally support plastic bags anymore so I would like to figure out an affordable and reliable way to dispose of what waste we do generate that can't be recycled or reused further.
There are really only 2 sizes it seems are readily available the 3 Gallon and Lawn & Leaf Bags.  The 13 Gallon size I didn't find in the store, may be online until demand picks up... I am planning on getting one of these composting buckets when I order the 13 Gallon size.  I am super excited to use the compost bucket in conjunction with the 3 gallon bags and pumping up my LA chapter of composting :)


Here is my first try without the bucket, and as you can see 3 gallons is tinier than you'd think!  We just bought a baby watermelon and this is ~1/2 the rinds in the bag.
 

I will keep some notes and keep y'all posted on the BioBags.  HOWEVER, here also is some other plastic bag things to think about:

 ***California’s law, SB 1749, maintains that bags should meet the ASTM D6400 specification for biodegradable product claims. Several other states are also instituting policies like California.***

I don't have a dog, but I have seen the new biodegradable doggy bags and I think everyone should HAVE TO use them every time.  The concept of hot contained, plastic poo sacks for up to a thousand years- Not appealing to me. I had no idea that there was a law set out in California about using bio-bags, but I hope all the stores only stock them or else this would be a moot point.

750 Biodegradable Pet Waste Poop Bags w/ FREE Bone Dispenser - Hunter Green 
WHAT'S AWESOME is with the Biodegradable one's like these, Between 60-90 Days these suckers will no longer be "plastic" and will completely biodegrade or you could get some Flush Puppies and they would dissolve in water and put the sewage with the sewage; double bonus.

I didn't know they had cat liners for the litter box so I will have to put those on my list of things to green-up when it comes to restocking the house.  We already use biodegradable and flushable World's Best Cat Litter, so at least we are in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...