Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How-To: EASY, FUNCTIONAL, AND CHEAP STORAGE!

Here are some instructions and helpful hints on how to make some clever storage items that are both recycled and CHEAP!

We drink a fair amount of Crystal Light in the house to cut out soda (still weighing in on the debate over if all the fake sugar in it is better for you but that's another post-)... AND, one of the highlights of buying this powdered beverage is the container. I have always been fascinated with collecting and saving useful containers and here is how I have turned this annoying obsession to something functional.

Since Paper Crafts are one of my main loves I have been utilizing ever scrap of paper that passes my hands and I need a system to store even tiny pieces to use later. These containers are going to be used to store the paper punches we have been collecting and processing for our products.



STEP 1: Save the containers. You could do this project with any container, I picked this one for its cylinder shape so the graphic from the paper sticks out. Same principles would work for coffee cans or oatmeal containers too! Crystal light has new packaging since I collected these and I haven't used any of the new ones for a project yet. I mostly purchase the "off-brand" from target anyway and the container is the one that is pictured above.




THIS PROJECT USES A STICKER MAKER SHOWN BELOW. A XYRON Create-a-sticker
This "machine" (which sounds way more intense than deserved...) Is super easy to use and is a MUST staple to any mixed media studio. Its a good price point to start, but the sticker refills might be costly so check out all of their products if your into stickers-


STEP 2: Using whatever symbol or paper punch that you would like to have on the top insert it into the sticker machine, and gently pull the strip from the other side as you load it.
here is what it looks like coming out of the finished side
Then tear the strip off to get below results:

Like it says clearly on the tape: Rub it. Basically the glue that is not under something gets trapped and peels away easily to create stickers of the objects you inserted.

Step 3: Pull off the stickers and adhere them to the top of the container you want it to represent.



STEP 4: CUT PAPER for the outside of the canister. The paper I've chosen for my canisters is from a recycled surf magazine we've acquired. I wanted something graphic and colorful, and I should embrace the fact I am minutes from the beach ;) Once you measure the the height of the object to cover I like to cut a large strip in that width and determine the length on the object. This way you can see how the pattern will look to you and choose.

the strips I cut ended up being 6 inches X 9 inches

STEP 5: With use of Double Sided Tape or whatever glue you may like, wrap the paper around the container and secure it to itself. AND TA-DAH:


EASY, FUNCTIONAL, AND CHEAP STORAGE!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...